Dale Hutchinson’s 1/32 Hasegawa S-199 Conversion

1-32-hasegawa-s-199-conversion-werners-wings-cover

Agape forum member Dale Hutchinson (Hutch) shared his results on this awesome looking S-199 conversion. Great stuff Dale!

I really wanted to get this build done before the new year and I finally crossed the finished line.  At this summer’s Nats my goal was to pick up something unique and not really add that much to the stash.  My wife blessed me with a few dollars to splurge and I made a purchase that I rarely make.  I had always eyed the 1:32 Werner’s Wings S-199 conversion set, but the price of $75 made me hesitant.  I decided to make the plunge, so I chatted with the nice Werner’s Wings folks at the vendor table…they are really nice folks.

The base kit I used was the fine 1:32 Hasegawa Bf109G-14.  The Werner’s conversion set came with an entirely new nose piece and some great decal options.  I have to comment that the Werner’s resin was first rate…finely detailed and not brittle…surface was perfect.

As part of the conversion, I had to cut off the nose of the base kit. However, the resin nose fit was perfect. Additional aftermarket parts were some RB Productions fabric belts in the cockpit, and some Barracuda Wheels. I painted the model with MM RLM 02 and chose the Czech scheme.

I did make one annoying error….when I clamped the left wing I did it too tightly which compressed the wing…this resulted in poor fit with the resin nose. So the fit in this area was my fault and not the conversion set.

In conclusion, for my first experience with a full conversion of a kit I am very pleased. It was a fun build.