This is Agape forum member “unimodeler’s” (Chris) Hasegawa Zero. He did an awesome job on this kit- looks great Chris!
This is the Hasegawa kit. I painted on the hinomaru’s, anew one for me. I started this about 2 years ago but got stuck on the decals, so I stripped and repainted the model.
The hinomaru’s were masked with Tamiya tape. I laid the 1.5 inch stuff onto a cutting pad and used a compass cutter to cut out the circles then applied the tape to the model.
The IJN grey-green is Floquil “Old Concrete”, which is a pretty good approximation. I pre-shaded with a red-brown then lightened the Old Concrete slightly with some white. The image is much lighter than the actual model hence the bright red hinomarus. They are actually just Vallejo red with some deck tan thrown in to lighten them slightly.
Some of the closeup demonstrate how I used just a puddle of future under the decal with no setting solution. I think I’m a convert to this technique!
The canopy was done entirely with strips of airbrushed decal strips.